I have been overwhelmed by the response in support of the Sewing for Souls school in Haiti, and I am so grateful to everyone who has contributed. Here is the progress so far:
- The two treadle sewing machines needed by the start of school in April have been fully funded by several members of the Gone to Pieces sewing circle. The checks were mailed on Monday to the missions agency and Pastor Jacques has been notified that he can go ahead and purchase the machines in Haiti. This will allow the school to give each student a chance to take a turn learning on a treadle so that when she earns one of her own she will know how to use it.
- All 25 of the sewing kits have been sponsored.
- I have received generous donations of fabric, thread, notions, zippers, sewing machine needles, and batting scraps.
- I have had several people offer to donate their used sewing machine.
- Community Christian Academy has agreed to hold a coin drive to collect money to purchase additional heavy duty Janome sewing machines from the Sew and Vac store in Jensen Beach that is going out of business. They are selling them to me for an excellent price as his contribution to the project.
The remaining needs include support of the coin drive for the heavy duty machines and contributions to purchase Bible study books in Creole and to cover the expense of shipping the donated sewing machines and fabric to Haiti. The school will begin on April 2 and I will be bringing a small team of women on a mission trip April 15-20 for an intensive sewing school and Bible study. I cannot thank everyone who has contributed enough. God bless you all.